Originally developed by Colonel James Walker, The St. Louis Hotel has been a Calgary landmark since 1914 and was designated as a Municipal Historic Resource in 2008. The brick, timber and steel-framed building sat empty for several years until its redevelopment into leasable space in 2014. Nyhoff Architecture led the conservation and adaptive re-use of the historic hotel.
To extend the life of the building by another 100+ years, the edifice was fortified with a new steel structure and concrete floors while the heritage floors as a ceiling were maintained. The building has been opened up with re-constructed light wells to enhance leasing opportunities on all above-grade floors of the character building. Exposed brick, mechanical, electrical and structural elements evoke the original building’s rustic feel.
Submitted by: Entuitive
CISC Member: Entuitive