Read the case study that compares the environmental performance of different structural systems and materials the slim and material efficient design of steel structures is advantageous.
Key conclusions are:
- The reduced material quantities for a certain structural element
- For a single storey building: reduced number of columns, smaller foundations, and fewer deliveries to the construction site
- Structural steel can be directly reused or recycled.
- High-strength steels for tension and bending members improve the life cycle assessment.
- Structural steel, especially those with Environmental Product Declarations (EPD’s), is considerably competitive.
- Planning and construction using steel is advantageous to the total energy demand of a typical single-story building.
- Structural steel meets the goals of efficient use of resources as well as reduction of waste.