Website G&P Welding and Ironworks
General Job Description (other responsibilities will be assigned as needed)
1. Manage the company’s day-to-day purchasing activities.
2. Research and locate potential vendors and interview them in order to determine product availability and terms of sales.
3. Compare and evaluate offers from suppliers. Negotiate contract terms of agreement and pricing.
4. Monitor stock levels and place orders as needed. Collaborate with inventory control, production department, and Project Managers to maintain adequate inventory level needs throughout the year.
5. Review, evaluate and approve specifications for issuing and awarding bids. Establish lines of contact with the management team (Project Manager or QA Manager) if applicable to ensure that all purchasing details and coordination of details of special order items are accurate.
6. Enter order details (e.g. vendors, quantities, prices) and monitor all open purchase orders using the company’s ERP software. Maintain updated records of purchased products, delivery information and invoices.
7. Track orders and ensure timely delivery. Work with yard receivers to ensure that all deliveries satisfy the assigned purchase orders and follow-up on any back-ordered or missing products to the vendor and/or supplier.
8. Review quality of purchased products.
9. Review purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to company policy. Resolve vendor or contractor grievances and claims against suppliers.
10. Coordinate with yard personnel to ensure proper storage of raw materials.
11. Manage purchasing costs to be in line with project estimates.
12. Develop and implement purchasing and contract management instructions, policies and procedures
1. Mechanical background in a heavy industrial or manufacturing environment.
2. Ability to analyze bills of material and drawings to understand key requirements.
3. Understanding of carbon steel, stainless steel, and aluminum material grades and standards.
4. Technical knowledge of machining practices.
5. Knowledge in fabricating machinery and machinery in general, and the ability to deal with repair technicians.
6. Strong knowledge and direct experience in negotiating contracts and price quotations with vendors and suppliers with proven track record of cost reductions.
7. Effective written and verbal communication skills.
8. Computer literacy with a comprehensive understanding of MS Excel, MS Word and ERP purchase order software systems.
9. Meticulous attention to detail.
10. Ability to work well with a team and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
11. Good knowledge of vendor sourcing practices (researching, evaluating and liaising with vendors) and supply chain procedures.
12. A degree or diploma in Business Administration with a specialty in Procurement and Purchasing, or a related field.
13. Proven work experience in procurement and operations as a Purchasing Manager, Officer, Agent, or similar role with 5+ years of experience.
Experience preferred (but not essential):
1. Bilingual in English and French
2. Estimating knowledge
3. Basic knowledge in welding and welding procedures
4. Repair and maintenance and Preventative Maintenance administration
5. Quality Assurance and ISO experience