Advantage Steel ... Building an Iconic Future
ONTARIO REGION STEEL DESIGN AWARDS 2006
Architectural Category Winner
Owner: City of Oshawa
Architects: Barry Bryan Associates & Hughes Condon Marler Architects – Architects in Joint Venture
Structural Engineer: Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd.
General Contractor: Maystar General Contractors
CISC Fabricator, Detailer & Erector: Benson Steel
Architectural Award of Merit
Emmanuel Baptist Church
Owner: Emmanuel Baptist Church
Architects: Ted Handy and Associates Inc.
Structural Engineer: Meades Engineering
General Contractor: Bertram Construction and Design
CISC Fabricator & Detailer: ACL Steel
CISC Erector: Spencer Steel
Engineering Category Winner
Leslie Dan School of Pharmacy, University of Toronto
Owner: University of Toronto
Architects: Foster and Partners - Cannon Design, Architects in Joint Venture
Structural Engineer: Halcrow Yolles
General Contractor: PCL Constructors Canada Inc.
CISC Fabricator, Detailer and Erector: Walters Inc.
Members of the Jury Panel were:
Michael Buckley, P.Eng., Partner, Halsall Associates
Alan Munn, Senior Partner, Zeidler Partnership Architects
Bill Ruth, President, aTRM Architects
David Tay, P. Eng., Partner, Morrison Hershfield
Dave Tipler, P.Eng., Partner, Banerjee & Associates
Carson Woods, President, Carson Woods Architects Limited
CISC ONTARIO MEMBERS RECEIVE SAFETY AWARDS
Toronto, May 17, 2006, 5:30 p.m. – The annual Safety Achievement Awards for Ontario steel erectors were presented jointly by the Construction Safety Association of Ontario (CSAO) and the Canadian Institute of Steel Construction (CISC) to firms with the lowest frequency of injuries for the years 2002 and 2004, based on the ratio of lost time injuries in the field to the total manhours worked. The information is gathered from the Worker’s Compensation Board CAD-7 Performance Index and is given in two categories.
The presentations were made, during the 2006 CISC Ontario Region Spring Reception for architects and engineers held this evening at The Toronto Congress Centre, by Mr Walt Hucalak, Vice Chair of CISC Ontario.
Category I (100 001 Manhours and over) was won by Walters Inc., Hamilton. Mr. Peter Kranendonk accepted the award on behalf his company.
Category II (100 000 Manhours and under) was won by Niagara Structural Steel. Mr. George Tyas accepted the award on behalf of his company.
UNIVERSITY STUDENTS RECEIVE CISC ONTARIO SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS
Toronto, May 17, 2006, 6:30 p.m.
The Canadian Institute of Steel Construction presented eight scholarship awards to students from Universities in Ontario:
• Richard Michels, Carleton University
• Alison MacDonald, McMaster University
• Jiang Shao, Ryerson University, Engineering
• Jonathan Pascaris, Ryerson University, Architectural
• Kelly Anne Buffey & April Wong, University of Toronto, Architectural
• Davis Doan, University of Toronto, Engineering
• Johnathan Hagan, University of Western Ontario
• Jesse Pauls, Waterloo University
The presentations were made, during the 2006 CISC Ontario Region Spring Reception for architects and engineers held this evening at The Toronto Congress Centre, by CISC Ontario in conjunction with CISC members participating in the Scholarship Program.
The award of $2000 each was given to undergraduate students who excelled in the steel design course during their third year and who selected a steel elective in their final year. The winners for the scholarship awards were selected, based on input from their professors:
• Professor Gil Hartley, Carleton University
• Professor Mike Tait, McMaster University
• Professor Khaled Sennah, Ryerson University, Engineering
• Professor Vera Straka, Ryeson University, Architectural
• Professor Ted Kesik, University of Toronto, Architectural
• Professor Peter Birkemoe, University of Toronto, Engineering
• Professor Mike Bartlett, University of Western Ontario
• Professor Lei Xu, Waterloo University